I love scones as a tea time snack and they also make a great on the go breakfast. Here's a quick and easy recipe for my Apple Cinnamon Scones. Scroll down to the bottom for a shameless shortcut for lazy cooks.
What You'll Need - Makes 6 Large Scones/12 Medium
- 750ml All Purpose Flour
- 6 Tbs Castor Sugar
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1 Tsp of Cinnamon Powder
- 170g Cold Butter/Margarine
- 2 Apples (Granny Smith or Fuji)
- 350ml Milk
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
Prep - 5 Minutes
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees Celsius
- Peel Apples. Grate one and chop the other into cubes
Let's Get Cooking - 45 Minutes
- Heat the milk to be lukewarm in the microwave and add the lemon juice and vanilla essence and allow to sit
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon powder and sugar.
- Add the cold butter and with your hands, fold until the mixture becomes crumbly (coarse)
- Add the apples and mix
- Add the milk to the bowl and combine with a cake spatula or a flat spoon. The mixture will feel wet with some crumbs not mixed in.
- Lightly flour a surface and tip the mixture in the bowl onto the surface. Flour your hands and the dough and knead it slightly - just so it isn't so wet. It does not need to be a smooth dough. If you overwork the dough, your scones will be hard.
- Flour a knife and cut the dough into two equal parts. Mold each half into a circle that's about 15cms wide and 3cms high. Cut out 4 equal triangles.
- Do the same for the second half. Place in a greased tray
- Brush the top of the scones with some milk
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the scones have risen and are golden brown