Cinnamon rolls are one of my favourite tea time treats. I am not a fan of the normal confectioners sugar glaze so i make a coffee caramel with nuts.
What You'll Need - Makes About 12 Rolls
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 and 1/2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbs butter, softened
- 1 Tbs ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 Cup Nuts Roughly Chopped. (I used almonds and Cashews)
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp Granulated Coffee
- 1 Tbs Butter
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Nuts, Roughly Chopped.
Let's Get Cooking - 3 Hours
- In a large bowl, mix the water, milk and butter and heat slightly. - Helps quicken the proofing stage of the dough.
- Add the yeast into the bowl, sugar, salt and eggs. Combine.
- Slowly add the flour and mix until it becomes a sticky dough.
- Add flour onto a surface and transfer the dough onto the surface and knead for 5 minutes until dough is smooth (Add flour to your hands if the dough is sticky)
- Grease the bowl you used with butter and place the dough back in. Cover with a dish cloth or cling film and put aside in a warm area to proof - about an hour.
- While the dough is proofing, make the filling. Combine the sugar, cinnamon and chopped nuts.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, place it onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out into a rectangle, about 30 x 20 Cms.
- Take the 3 tablespoons of butter and apply it onto the rectangular dough using your hands of a brush. Then spread the cinnamon,sugar and nuts mixture all over the dough.
- Roll the dough tightly into one long roll. then cut into about 12 even pieces.
- Place the rolls on a greased oven tray and cover with a cloth in a warm area to proof for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius bake
- Place the proofed rolls into the oven and bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown. Cover the rolls with aluminium foil after 15 minutes to ensure they don't burn.
- While the rolls are baking, make the caramel glaze.
- In a sauce pan, add the sugar, butter and a 1/4 cup water and allow to simmer at very low heat.
- Once the sugar has melted, add the coffee and nuts and allow to simmer for a further 2 minutes and put aside.
- Drizzle the glaze over the baked cinnamon rolls and serve