Garlic bread is a treasure and more so when you make it from scratch yourself.
What You'll Need
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp active dry yeast (one packet)
- 1 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Sugar
1 Cup Milk
2 Tbs Olive Oil
6 Cloves Garlic
1 Handful Fresh Parsley
1 Handful Fresh Basil
½ Cup butter, softened
Prep - 2 Hours
- In a large bowl, add the milk and warm slightly in a microwave. Do not boil
- Add the yeast, sugar and salt into the milk and mix with a whisk.
- To the wet mixture, add the flour slowly while whisking
- Light flour a flat surface and transfer the dough onto the surface
- Flour your hands and flour the dough as well to make it easier to knead
- Knead the dough until it's smooth.
Coat the dough in oil and place back into the bowl. Cover with a tea towel and place in a warm area to rise.
- Allow to rise until it's doubled in size, about an hour
- While the dough is rising, you can make the garlic and herb mixture
- In a blender or a pestle and mortar, add the garlic, parsley and basil. Blend until the garlic and herbs are minced.
- Add this to the softened butter and combine. Put aside until the dough is ready
- Lightly flour a flat surface again, move the dough after its doubled in size onto the surface. Flour your hands and the dough
- Knead again until smooth. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle. As big as your dough will allow.
- Spread the garlic and herb mixture onto the dough
- Roll the dough into one large roll
- Slice the roll down the middle with a knife into two
- Braid the two sliced rolls by taking one side and placing on top of the other
- Carefully transfer the braided bread onto a greased baking tray. Cover with a dish cloth and allow to rise again for 30 minutes.
- While the bread is rising, preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius (bake)
Let's Get Cooking - 30 Minutes
- Once the bread has risen, place in the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes
- Serve and Enjoy