Roast whole chicken doesn't have to be your usual boring lemon and herb flavourings. Try this aromatic flavour base with Chinese five spice.
What You'll Need - 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 2 Tbs Chinese Five Spice
- 8 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Thumb Sized Fresh Ginger Pieces
- 6 Spring Onions
- 2 Lemons
- 2 Tbs Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Prep - 1 Hour
- In a bowl add the five spice, Juice 1 Lemon (Don't discard the lemon once squeezed), Soy Sauce, Olive Oil, salt & Pepper - Combine into a loose paste.
- Rub the marinade all over the chicken and inside the cavity of the chicken and set aside
- Take the garlic cloves and crush them.
- Take the ginger pieces and thinly slice or crush the ginger.
- Chop the spring onions into chunky large pieces.
- Take half the spring onions, garlic cloves and ginger and place inside the cavity of the chicken (as you would with a stuffing)
- Take the squeezed lemon and place into the cavity as well.
- Take the remainder of the ginger, spring onion and garlic and place at the bottom of a roasting tray.
- Place the chicken into the tray
- Take the other lemon and cut into quarters and place around the chicken.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees
- You can let the chicken rest and marinade for an hour before roasting - the longer the chicken sits the more infused the flavours will be. You can also roast the chicken right away.
Let's Get Cooking - 45 Minutes
- Place the chicken into the oven and grill for about 30 - 45 minutes.
- The best way to check if your chicken is cooked is by checking the space between the drumstick and the breast as it takes the longest to cook.