Calamari Tubes are
What You'll Need - Serves 2
- 4 Large Calamari Tubes (Gutted and Cleaned)
- 4 Rashers of streaky bacon
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 Cup Spinach
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 2 Lemons
- 1 Cup White Wine
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 4 Garlic Cloves
Prep - 10 Minutes
- Slice your bacon into chunks.
- Slice your cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Chop your red onion.
- Mince your garlic (grate, Pound with a pestle and mortar or use a garlic press)
- Score (shallow slice) each side of the calamari tubes. 3 -4 lines diagonally.
- Season the tubes with salt and pepper.
Let's Get Cooking - 25 Minutes
Stuffing - 5 minutes
- In a pan, heat a tablespoon of cooking oil. Fry the bacon pieces until crispy. Add the onions and fry until onions are cooked.
- Add the Cherry Tomatoes and Spinach and saute until the spinach has wilted
- Add Oregano and Paprika. Add tomato paste and a few drops of water to loosen then paste.
- Put aside to cool down.
Lemon Garlic Sauce - 10 Minutes
- In a sauce pan, heat a tablespoon of butter. Add the garlic into the butter and saute at a low heat for no more than a minute (Do Not Burn The Garlic!!!!!)
- Add a teaspoon of flour to the butter and garlic forming a thick paste.
- Then add the cup of white wine and the juice of one lemon and stir
- Let it simmer for at a very low heat while you fry your calamari tubes
Calamari Tubes - 10 Minutes
- Stuff each calamari tube with the stuffing. Do not overfill to the top as the tubes shrink during cooking.
- In a pan melt a teaspoon of butter with a tablespoon of olive oil and heat.
- Place the tubes carefully into the pan and fry for 2 minutes on each side
- Place the fried tubes in the pan with the lemon garlic sauce - remove of the heat and cover for 5 minutes.
Serve with your favourite side and enjoy :)