Mackerel is a great oil rich fish that is widely available and very cheap. It takes very well to pan frying, grilling in the oven or over open fire. This recipe can be done in the oven but i prefer frying them on a griddle pan. Add them as part of your barbecue menu and they'll be a crowd favourite.
What You'll Need - Serves 2
- 4 Whole Mackerel
- Thumb Sized Ginger
- 2 Red Chilies
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 2 Lemons
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil (About 1/4 Cup)
Prep - 15 Minutes
- If you don't like or don't know how to clean fish I'd suggest asking a fish monger to do it for you, or buying cleaned and gutted fish.
- Make 3 shallow slits across each side of the mackerel
- Season with salt and pepper generously not forgetting to season inside the fish and inside the slits you cut.
- Peel the ginger and garlic
- Place the ginger, garlic, and chili in a pestle and mortar or a blender. Add the juice of 1 lemon and grind until its a chunky paste.
- Add The olive oil, paprika and combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the marinade over the fish. Place the marinade into the cavity of the fish and rub into the slits.
- You can allow the fish to sit for 20 Minutes before grilling or grill right away. The longer it sits the more the flavour seeps into the fish.
Let's Get Cooking - 10 Minutes
- Place under the grill and grill until the fish skin is crispy (About 10-12 minutes)
- Alternatively, heat a griddle pan and coat the pan with a frying oil.
- Place the mackerel in the hot pan and fry until the skin is crispy about 5 minutes on each side.
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon onto the cooked fish and serve