Mackerel is a great oil rich fish that is widely available and very cheap. It takes very well grilling in the oven or over open fire.
What You'll Need - Serves 2
- 4 Whole Mackerel
- Thumb Sized Ginger
- 2 Red Chilies
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil (About 4 Tbs)
Prep - 15 Minutes
- Preheat Oven to 200 degrees (grill)
- If you don't like or don't know how to clean fish I'd suggest asking a fish monger to do it for you, or buying cleaned and gutted fish.
- Make 3 shallow slits across each side of the mackerel
- Season with salt and pepper generously not forgetting to season inside the fish and inside the slits you cut.
- Place in an oiled baking tray
- Peel the ginger and garlic
- Place the ginger, garlic and chili in a pestle and mortar or a blender. Add the juice of half the lemon and grind until its a chunky paste.
- Add The olive oil and combine.
- Pour the marinade over the fish. Place the marinade into the cavity of the fish and rub into the slits.
- You can allow the fish to sit for 20 Minutes before grilling or grill right away. The longer it sits the more the flavour seeps into the fish.
Let's Get Cooking - 20 Minutes
- Place under the grill and grill until the fish skin is crispy (About 15-20minutes)
- Squeeze the other half of the lemon juice onto the cooked fish