I recently got a bamboo steamer and i'm obsessed with it. I've always loved Asian steamed buns and so i found this recipe online and tweaked a little. This makes approximately 12 medium sized buns, you can multiply the measurements to make more. You can stuff them with your choice of stuffing.
What You'll Need
- 2 Cups Plan Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- 150ml Water (Approximately)
- 50ml Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Prep - 2.5 Hours
- Mix the dry ingredients - In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and yeast.
- Mix the wet ingredients - water, milk and 1 Tablespoon sunflower oil.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Lightly dust surface with flour. Tip your dough onto the surface and knead for 15 minutes.
- Lightly brush a bowl with oil and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with a cloth and leave to rise in a warm area until its doubled in size - about an hour and a half.
- Place the risen dough onto a clean work surface and punch it down, knead for another 5 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a long sausage about 30cms long then cut into pieces that are about 2-3cms wide. You should get about 12
- Roll each piece of dough into a ball
- Use rolling pin to roll out each ball into an oval shape. Rub surface of the dough ovals with oil.
- Take a chopstick or straw (basically a long thin stick) and oil it.
- Place the oiled chopstick in the center of each oval. Fold the dough over the chopstick, then slowly pull out of the chopstick out.
- Transfer the buns onto an oiled tray and cover with a cloth and leave it to rest for another hour.
Let's Get Cooking - 10 Minutes
- Heat a large steamer.
- Place the buns into a steamer and steam for 10 Minutes
- Serve with your choice of stuffing, i served mine with BBQ pork