I've been trying to learn how to make these individual steamed breads for a while now and finally managed to get it done.
What You'll Need - Makes 12
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Yeast Granules
- Pinch Salt
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- Warm Water (About 350ml)
- 1 Medium sized Muffin Pan
- 1 Large Oven Tray
Prep - 1 Hour
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients - Flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
- Add warm water slowly until the dough is elastic (You might not need all the water)
- Knead the dough until smooth
- Leave the dough covered with a tea towel or cling wrap in a warm area for about 1 hour until it has doubled in size (Might take longer if its not that warm)
- While the dough is rising, grease your muffin tray with some oil.
- Press the dough down, releasing the air and knead for another 5 minutes.
- Preheat your oven at 200 degrees with just the bottom coil on.
Let's Get Cooking - 30 Minutes
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and place them into the muffin trays
- Press the dough down firmly to stop it from rising too much.
- Brush the top of the dough with some oil
- Cover the muffin tray with some heavy duty foil (Make sure to securely tighten the sides of the tray to ensure water does not enter but also leave the top of the muffin tray loose so the bread can rise)
- Place the muffin tray in a larger oven tray (Grill Pan)
- Pour hot water around the oven the tray, enough to cover the bottom half of the muffin tray.
- Place in the oven at the lowest level and allow to steam for about 25 minutes
- When you press on top of the bread it should be firm.
- Serve with your favourite stews and enjoy