Rice and beans is my favourite meal and this my favourite way to have my beans. If your're using canned beans i'd suggest rinsing off the brine.
What You'll Need - Serves 4
- 4 Cups Cooked Kidney Beans (Or Sugar Beans)
- 1/2 Green, Yellow & Red Pepper
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Can Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Sprigs Rosemary
- 4 Sprigs Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
Prep - 10 Minutes
- Finely chop the peppers, onion and carrot
- Slight crush the garlic cloves and peel
Let's Get Cooking - 30 Minutes
- Heat some cooking oil in a pot
- Add the diced peppers, onion and carrots and cook until soft
- Add the garlic cloves then the can of tomatoes
- Cook until the tomatoes are cooked.
- Add the paprika, cumin, turmeric & Cayenne Pepper.
- Add the kidney beans and 4 Cups of Water
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add the rosemary & thyme
- Allow to simmer at medium heat until the liquid has completely reduced down and the beans are almost breaking apart.
- Serve with some rice or flat bread