One pot meals are an easy way to feed a large number of people. This stew is hearty and the barley is filling.
What You'll Need - Serves 4
- 1 Cup Pearled Barley
- 500g Stewing Beef
- 1 Can Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Large Red Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Large Potatoes
- 2 Cups Beef Stock (Or 2 Beef Stock Cubes in 2 Cups Water)
- 2 Cups Water
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 2 Twigs Fresh Rosemary & Thyme
- 2 Tbs Cooking Oil
Prep - 10 Minutes
- If your beef isn't already cubed, cube it into chunks and season with salt and pepper
- Peel and cut carrots, onion and potatoes into 6 large chunks
Let's Get Cooking - 60 Minutes
- In a large pot, add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and allow to heat up.
- Add the beef into the heated oil and fry until its browned.
- Add the can of tomatoes and garlic and combine until they are cooked down.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and onion and combine
- Pour in the stock and 1 cup of water first (Let the stew reduce before adding the second cup)
- Add the tomato paste and combine
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the rosemary and thyme stems on top, cover and allow to simmer at medium heat for 30 minutes. .
- While the stew is cooking, boil the barley in 4 cups of water. This takes about 20 minutes until cooked.
- Add the barley to the stew and another cup of water and allow to simmer until the meat is tender and the vegetables are cooked.
- Serve with some garlic bread