I love beans and as much as i am a believer in shortcuts, i'd strongly suggest using uncooked beans for this recipe as opposed to canned beans. Canned beans fall apart very easily in such recipes. Sprinkle feta on top and eat it on its own or with some bread or on top of some rice - nothing makes me as happy as a bowl of rice and beans :D
What You'll Need - Serves 6-8 Portions
- 1 Cup Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Cup Red Speckled Beans
- 1 Cup Brown lentils
- 1 Red, Yellow & Green Pepper
- 1 Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Can Peeled Tomatoes ( 4 Fresh Tomatoes)
- 2 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 2 Tsps Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsps Dry Thyme
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Vegetable or Beef Stock Cube
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Beans cooking liquid
- 2 Tbs Cooking Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Prep - Overnight
- If you're using uncooked beans, i'd suggest soaking them the night before to speed up the cooking process - Don't cook the beans all the way through, leave them with some bite.
- Do not discard of the water the beans cooked in
- Dice your onion, carrots, peppers and garlic
- If using fresh tomatoes, dice your tomatoes
Let's Get Cooking - 30 Minutes
- In a pot, Saute your garlic, onion and carrots.
- Once cooked, add the peppers.
- Add the uncooked brown lentils and combine.
- Add the tomatoes and stir until cooked
- Break the stock cube into the pot. Add the water.
- Add the cooked beans with a cup of the beans cooking liquid
- Add tomato paste
- Season with cayenne pepper, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper to your taste
- Combine and allow to simmer on a low heat until the lentils are cooked - about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve as a side or on its own with some bread.