Oxtail is such a treat. Tough cuts of meat like oxtail are best when they are braised (slow cooked) to release all its flavours. You can do this on the stove top as well and still get delicious, tender oxtail.
What You'll Need
- 1.5 Kgs Oxtail
- 250g Mushrooms
- 800g Canned Whole Peeled Tomatoes (2 Cans)
- 100g Tomato Paste
- 3 Carrots
- 1 Large Red Onion
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tbs Smoked Paprika
- 2 Tbs Dry Oregano
- 1 Tbs Dry Thyme
- 2 Tbs Cooking Oil
- 4 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Beef Stock Cubes
- 500ml Water
- 500ml Dry Red Wine
- 2 Tbs All Purpose Flour
- Salt & Pepper
Prep - 10 Mins
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees Celsius
- Season Oxtail with salt and pepper. Add flour and coat the oxtails.
- Roughly chop onion and carrots.
Let's Get Cooking - 4 Hours
- In a large pot that can go into the oven, heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- Brown all the oxtails one batch at a time then remove them from the pot
- Once all the oxtails have been browned, add the garlic, onion,mushrooms and carrots in the pan and saute until the onions are cooked.
- Add the wine, water and beef stock cubes, Water. Then add the canned tomatoes Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and bay leaves.
- Add the dry oregano, thyme, smoked paprika and the bay leaves.
- Place the oxtail back into the pot.
- You can place the oxtail in the oven and braise for 3.5 to 4 Hours (depending on the size of the tails) or do it on the stove top.
Serve and Enjoy :)