Offal can be so delicious if prepared well. If you've got a weak stomach, i'd suggest finding tripe that's already been cleaned for you because cleaning tripe puts most people off eating it. If you have a pressure cooker, it will reduce your cooking time to a fraction of this.
You can use cow or sheep oxtail with this recipe and i prefer my tripe seasoned with nothing but salt and some chili.
What you'll Need - Serves 4
- 500g Tripe
- 1 Can Tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 2 Fresh Chilies (Optional)
Prep - 20 Mins
- If your tripe isn't already cleaned, clean it thoroughly (Or you'll be chewing on sand)
- Cut up your tripe into pieces
Let's Get Cooking - Approximately 5 Hours
- In a large pot, place your tripe and top the pot off with water and allow to boil at medium heat until tender (Take a piece and have a taste). Keeping adding water to the pot as it cooks. This takes about 4 hours, if you have a pressure cooker, it speeds up this cooking process.
- Once the tripe is almost cooked, there should still be enough water to cover half the pot.
- In a sauce pan heat a tablespoon of cooking oil
- Add chopped onions and turn until cooked
- Add the can of tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes have been cooked down.
- Season with salt and if you like the fresh chili.
- Add the tomato and onion gravy to the tripe and allow to simmer for another hour with the gravy.
- Season further with salt if needed.