Falafels are usually made from chickpeas and broad beans but i like to experiment with whatever i have in the house and came up with this recipe.
What You'll Need - Makes about 10 Falafels
- 2 Cups Cooked Black Beans (Kidney beans are fine too)
- 1 Cup Cooked Brown Lentils
- 2 Tbs Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Fresh Coriander
- 2 Tbs Coconut Oil
- Cooking Oil for deep frying
- Bread Crumbs for coating
- 2 Eggs
- Salt & Pepper
Prep - 20 Minutes
- Mash the beans and lentils with a masher - they don't have to be silky smooth., i like it to be a little chunky.
- Finely mince the garlic cloves and add them to the beans
- Add the cumin and paprika
- Finely chop the coriander and add to the beans and lentils
- Combine everything and then add the flour and baking powder and combine
- Add the coconut oil and combine.
- Taste and season further with salt and pepper as desired
- Mould the mixture into golf size balls
- Whisk the two eggs and season with salt
- Dip the balls into the eggs then into the bread crumbs
Let's Get Cooking - 10 Minutes
- Heat oil in a pan (oil should be half the pan - enough to cover the falafel balls)
- Place the falafel balls into the hot oil and fry until browned
- These go well served with a Greek yogurt dip.