The base of a good pasta dish should always be a great sauce. I've perfected a quick and flavourful tomato sauce that works well with pasta.
What You'll Need - Serves 2-3
- 1 Large Eggplant
- 250g Spaghetti, Fettuccine or Linguine
- 2 Cups Dry White Wine
- 250g Cherry Tomatoes
- 50g Tomato Paste
- 20g Fresh Basil
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Onion
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- Dry Chili Flakes
Prep - 20 Minutes
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Cut the eggplant in half and then slice into thin semi circles. Season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Add some cooking oil and bake in an oven for 15 minutes until cooked and starting to crisp.
- Finely dice the onion and garlic
- If your cherry tomatoes are big cut them in half length ways
Let's Get Cooking - 15 Minutes
- In a large pot cook the pasta as per the instructions on the packet. Make sure to not overcook
- In a large sauce pan, heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil an add the onions. Fry until soft.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and allow them to start cooking.
- Add the white wine and allow to boil on high heat for 2 minutes to burn off the alcohol.
- Reduce the heat to a medium and add the chopped garlic
- Let the tomatoes soften and and the sauce will start to thicken.
- Season with salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Add the cooked eggplant and allow to simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Add the fresh basil to the sauce and combine
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce
- Combine and serve (with some extra chili flakes and feta if desired)