This is a different and less expensive take on a classic risotto by using brown rice instead of Arborio rice.
What You'll Need - Serves 4
- 1 Cup Mixed Brown & Wild Rice (I use Tastic)
- 5-6 Cups Chicken/Vegetable Stock
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Medium Onion
- 250G Brown Mushrooms
- 1 Tsp Dry Thyme
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan cheese ( White Cheddar works too)
- 1 Tbs Butter
- Salt & Pepper
Prep - 5 Minutes
- Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic cloves
- Slice mushrooms
Let's Get Cooking - 45 Minutes
- In a pan, heat butter and sauté the sliced mushrooms until cooked. Put aside
- In the same pan, add the onion and turn until cooked
- Add the rice and toast slightly for 2 Minutes
- Add half the garlic and combine
- Add 1/2 cup of the stock and stir until the stock has absorbed
- Add 1 Cup of the stock, reduce to a medium heat and allow the rice to cook - stir occasionally
- Once the stock has absorbed, add another cup. Do this until the rice is cooked with a slight bite. This should be about 4 to 5 Cups of stock later.
- Once the rice is almost cooked add 1/2 cup of stock, the other half of the garlic, thyme and stir until half the stock is absorbed.
- Add the mushrooms and combine
- Add the cheese and combine until cheese is melted.
- Serve as is or with roasted vegetables or chicken/fish