Seafood can be intimating to make especially something that looks as scary as squid but fear not this recipe is as straight forward as it gets.
What You'll Need - Serves 4
- 4 Large Squid Heads
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- Thumb Sized Piece Ginger
- 1/2 Cup Red Wine
- 1/2 Can Chopped/Whole Tomatoes
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Tarragon
- 1/2 Tsp Chili Flakes
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic Bread - To Serve
Prep - 10 Minutes
- Make sure your squid is cleaned properly - i'd suggest asking them to do it for you if you get it fresh from a fishery. If its frozen, it's probably been cleaned already but rinse it under cold water to make sure.
- Season the squid with salt and pepper and put aside.
- Chop your red onion
- Peel and roughly chop the garlic and ginger
Let's Get Cooking - 25 Minutes
- In a large pot, heat cooking oil. Add the Onions, ginger and garlic and fry until the onions are cooked.
- Add the tomatoes and cook them down
- Add the Red Wine and let it simmer at high heat to burn off the alcohol for about 5 Minutes.
- Season with the Paprika, Tarragon, Chili Flakes, salt and pepper.
- Add the water and turn down the heat on your stove to low heat
- Allow the sauce to simmer for 5 Minutes
- Add the squid and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- The squid is cooked when it is firm but still tender and when you cut through it, it should be opaque which just means it should not be transparent (You should not be able to see through it)
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon over the squid when you're ready to serve.
- Serve with garlic bread and a side salad