Learning how to make simple battered fish can come in handy for those days of craving fish and chips. You'll need a flaky white fish for this. Hake, Sole or Kingklip work best for this recipe.
What You'll Need - Serves 4
- 4 Fish Fillets (About 300g each)
- 2 Cup Self Raising Flour
- 2 Cups Ice Cold Water
- 1 Lemon
- Cooking Oil - Deep Frying
- Salt & Pepper
Prep - 10 Minutes
- Pat all the fillets dry with a paper towel.
- Season with salts and pepper
- In a large bowl that can fit the fillets, put flour into the bowl and season with salt.
- Pour the ice cold water into the flour while mixing with a whisk
- Once the batter is smooth, squeeze half the lemon into the batter and combine.
Let's Get Cooking - 15 Minutes
- Heat cooking oil in a large pan or deep fryer. Enough oil to cover the fish.
- Place one fillet at a time into the batter coating. Lift the fillet and allow the excess batter to drip off.
- Place the fish into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides. Takes about 7-10 Minutes
- Fry no more than 2 fillets at a time to avoid the oil cooling down too much.
- Once the fish is cooked, place onto a paper towel to drip any excess oil and squeeze lemon juice over the fish.
- Serve and enjoy