A whole fried fish can be the star of any table setting. This recipe works well with different types of fish like Tilapia, Silvers line fish (Pictured) or snapper.
What You'll Need -Makes 2 Whole Fish
- 2 Whole Fish (If you don't want or know how to gut and clean fish, look for ones that are already scaled and cleaned for you)
- 1 Thumb sized piece of ginger
- 2 Fresh Chillies (Of Your Choice)
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Lemons
- 2 Tbs Soy Sauce
- Oil for frying (about 4 cups)
- Salt & Pepper
- Spring Onions & Fresh Chili for garnish.
Prep - 30 Minutes
- Rinse your fish and pat dry
- Make 2 slits on the body of the fish, generously season the fish with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a pestle and mortar or a blender/food processor, grind up the garlic, chillies and ginger with the juice of 2 lemons and soy sauce
- Take the marinade and place it into the cavity (the slits you made, inside the gills, and any openings on the fish) allow to marinade for at least 20 minutes.
Let's Get Cooking - 15 Minutes
- In a large shallow pan heat the oil. (you can also use a deep fryer)
- Carefully place in the hot oil
- Cook each side for about 5 minutes on each side, until crisp and golden brown. Make sure the head and the tail are also crispy, they are delicious to chew on.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving and drizzle more lemon juice on to the fish.
- Garnish with spring onions and fresh chilies